HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR CHILD’S FIRST DENTAL VISIT
Please complete the new patient form prior to your child’s appointment. You can expect to spend approximately 1 hour in our office.
We take our role as pediatric specialists seriously and want to do our utmost to make your child’s dental visit a success. Parents and the clinical staff need to work as a team to ensure the best experience for each child. We appreciate our parents and want to make you feel comfortable in our office too. We will meet with you initially for our new patient interview. At this time please express any concerns you have about your child’s dental visit. We provide a general waiting area for parents, though all are welcome to accompany their children back to the clinic on-deck area. Should you choose this we ask parents to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Please remain seated in the specified “on-deck” seating area.
- Allow our pediatric team to prepare your child for their visit.
- Support the “safe words” we choose to use for our dentistry, such as: wiggling teeth, using sleepy juice vs pulling teeth and getting shots.
- Please be a silent observer. This allows us to maintain focus with your child, and limits any incorrect or misleading information to be communicated.
- If asked to return to the general waiting area, please understand this is intended to regain the focus of the child for a successful outcome for their visit.
- Siblings need to remain in the general waiting area. If they are too young to be left, we ask parents to remain with them so that we can proceed with your child’s treatment without interruption.
- For the privacy of our families, including foster families and state wards, please refrain from photographing or recording your child’s dental visit.
Our goal is to help your child be a success at the dentist for a lifetime. Your child’s dental health is extremely important to us and we will strive to give your child the best dental experience possible.
AGE APPROPRIATE APPOINTMENT TIMING
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry now recommends that children visit the dentist by their 1st birthday.
Please understand that most children do their best in the morning. After children spend the day playing and being kids it is often difficult to sit still for long periods of time. For this reason we prefer to reserve long appointments for the morning. We have shorter appointments, such as recall cleanings, wire checks, and sealants for after school.
Our priority is the safety of your child. Please know that we have your child’s best interest in mind. When necessary, we may hold your child’s hands or use voice control. While a parent’s presence in our clinic is welcomed, we do ask that parents remain seated in the on-deck waiting area during their child’s appointment. This is both for the safety of the child and our dental team. Nitrous oxide benefits children who are cooperative but need a little extra help to get through a longer appointment. If your child needs more than 3 appointments, please consider general anesthesia to complete treatment all at one time.
Our team of pediatric specialists is specially trained to teach and encourage children. They are available to answer questions and assist you during your time in our office.
We are located across from HyVee in Williamsburg Village near 40th and Old Cheney. Our building backs up to 40th Street. Turn west on Duxhall Drive off of Old Cheney Road then left (south) on Village Drive. We are located on the east side of Village Drive.